Useful Links

  • Global Experience Ontario
  • Learn English or French
  • Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
  • How to apply


Working in Ontario

Lawyers are regulated in Ontario by The Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC). If you are an internationally trained lawyer, you can contact LSUC to find out how you can become licensed to practise law in Ontario.

Tools and Information

The Ontario Government has partnered with The Law Society of Upper Canada to create a career map for internationally trained lawyers. The career map explains in detail every step of the registration process including language requirements, industry trends, labour market conditions, the credential assessment process, licensing fees and other important information.

Download a copy of the Career Map for internationally trained lawyers:

Getting Help

Bridge training programs: If you are qualified in your profession but new to Ontario, you may benefit from a bridging program. Bridging programs help qualified immigrants move more quickly into their professions without duplicating what they have already learned.

Internationally Trained Lawyers Program (ITLP)

University of Toronto

This program provides a comprehensive continuum of services that addresses various needs of international lawyers from the time they enter Canada and begin the certification process by preparing them for the Accreditation examinations until they are registered with the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC), licensed to practise law in Ontario and occupied in their field.


Global Experience Ontario helps internationally trained and educated individuals in regulated non-health professions find out how to qualify for professional practice in Ontario.

Phone: 416-978-6770
Location: Toronto

The Osgoode NCA On-line Exam Preparation Courses

York University

The program offers five on-line courses on-demand to help internationally trained lawyers prepare for and pass the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) examinations and obtain their Certificate of Qualification which establishes the equivalency of their law degree credentials to those of a Canadian Law Degree. The Certificate of Qualification would allow successful participants to continue in the licensure process with the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC).

Phone: 416-597-9724
Location: Province-wide

Regulatory Body

The Law Society of Upper Canada
Osgoode Hall, 130 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 2N6
Telephone: 416-947-3300
Toll Free: 1-800-668-7380
Fax: 416-947-3924

Learning More

To learn about occupations in Canada, visit Job Bank.

This site will help you identify the name of your occupation in Canada. It will also give you important information about your profession in many regions of Canada, including job duties, skill requirements and wage rates.

Do you have questions about working in your profession or trade? If so, ask