Useful Links

  • Global Experience Ontario
  • Learn English or French
  • Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
  • How to apply

Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)

Working in Ontario

You must be a member of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA Ontario) in order to use the CPA designation in Ontario or refer to yourself as a Chartered Professional Accountant. Under the Public Accounting Act, membership in CPA Ontario is required to obtain a license to practice public accounting and to do most types of audit work in Ontario. CPAs also hold positions in business, commerce, industry, government, and education.

The Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified General Accountant (CGA) and Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designations have unified under the CPA designation.

Accounting in Ontario

There are currently several pathways to membership depending on your background. Information on the qualification process for internationally trained accountants can be found on the CPA Ontario website.

If you have an international university degree but are not a member of an accounting body outside Canada, CPA Ontario will assess the courses you have completed as part of your degree program and determine if you can be granted exemptions from some educational requirements. CPA Ontario recognizes degrees from outside Canada that are equivalent to degrees obtained at Canadian universities. Please refer to the International Degree section of the CPA Ontario website for further information on registration and the degree assessment process.


Global Experience Ontario helps internationally trained and educated individuals in regulated non-health professions find out how to qualify for professional practice in Ontario.

Mutual Recognition Agreements

If you are an accountant who is a member of a professional body outside of Canada, your path to the CPA designation is guided by a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA). MRAs are signed with accounting bodies that have substantially equivalent qualification programs. Eligible individuals from an accounting body with a signed MRA do not have to complete the full qualification requirement of CPA Ontario. Visit to read about existing MRAs.

Becoming a CPA

Visit to learn how to become a CPA.

The CGA program of professional studies will come to an end in September 2015, after which students will have the opportunity to transfer to the CPA program. Visit to learn more.

Getting Help

Bridge training programs: If you are qualified in your profession but new to Ontario, you may benefit from a bridging program. Bridging programs help qualified immigrants move more quickly into their professions without duplicating what they have already learned.

Management Training Program (MTP)

Financial Management Certificate Program

This one-year program, offered by the University of Windsor - Odette School of Business in partnership with the CPA Ontario, helps internationally trained individuals obtain employment in the finance sector. The program offers academic training that bridges international experience to Canadian business practices.

Telephone: 519-256-6621
Location: Windsor

York University

Bridge Training for Internationally Educated Professionals

The Bridge Training for Internationally Educated Professionals program helps internationally trained professionals with backgrounds in accounting, business, finance, management, marketing, public administration and information technology find employment in their field of expertise. The program provides training in Canadian business culture and communication, occupation-specific language training, and technical upgrading in participants’ area of professional focus. Participants also receive career coaching and opportunities to connect with employers through mentoring, networking and internships. Participants who complete the program can earn a certificate from York University.

Telephone: 416-736-5620
Location: Toronto

See also: Bridge training programs in the financial services sector.

Learn More

To learn more about the CPA designation, contact:

The Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA Ontario)
69 Bloor Street East
Toronto, ON M4W 1B3
Telephone: 416-962-1841
Toll free (in Canada and the U.S.A.) 1-800-387-0735
Fax: 416-962-8900

To learn about occupations in Canada, visit Job Bank.

This site will help you identify the name of your occupation in Canada. It will also give you important information about your profession in many regions of Canada, including job duties, skill requirements and wage rates.

To learn about careers in the financial services sector in Toronto, visit the Financial Services Career Advisor website. The site was developed by the Centre of Excellence in Financial Services Education (Toronto Financial Services Alliance).

Do you have questions about working in your profession or trade? If so, ask

Go back to the Find Your Profession page

Go back to the Work in Your Profession page