Ontario has a strong, diversified economy, with many kinds of work and many different industries. Most immigrants come to Ontario because of the opportunities offered here.

The fastest growing areas are business services, including information technology, finance, tourism and culture. In the north, the economy is mainly based on natural resources such as forests and minerals, while the south is Canada’s manufacturing heartland.

If you are a permanent resident, you are allowed to work in Canada and do not have to apply for a work permit. But if you are just staying temporarily, you will need a temporary work permit. This section tells you what you need to know about getting a temporary work permit.

If you want to work in a specific profession or skilled trade, this section tells you all of the steps you will need to take in order to receive your licence and begin working.

Important Links You Will Find in This Section

Global Experience Ontario can help internationally trained and educated individuals find out how to qualify for professional practice in Ontario. This one-stop centre offers a range of services for internationally educated individuals.

You may be eligible to receive free in-person or on-line pre-arrival services to help you adjust to life in Canada, find a job and other free settlement services, once you arrive.  These services are funded by the Government of Canada.

Looking for a Job will suggest valuable tools to help prepare you for your job search in Ontario.

Map your Career provides information to newcomers about getting licensed to work in the jobs in which they’ve been trained.

Build ON is an initiative offering specialized information and orientation to individuals relocating to Ontario and showing an interest in working in the Skilled Trades.

If you want to work temporarily in Ontario, read Working in Ontario with a work permit to find out how to apply.

Did You Know?

Workplace Health & Safety

You have the right to know about workplace hazards, participate in solving workplace health and safety issues, and refuse work you believe is unsafe.  
Find out more.

In certain professions and trades, you will be required to apply for a licence to practise in Ontario. You should contact the appropriate regulatory body before you arrive to find out about their academic credential assessment process.

For more information, contact Global Experience Ontario. This one-stop centre offers a range of services for internationally educated individuals.