Useful Links

  • Global Experience Ontario
  • Learn English or French
  • Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
  • How to apply

International Students

After Graduation

After you graduate from an Ontario college or university, you may be able to continue living and working in Ontario. It is important you start planning early and not wait until graduation. You can extend your stay in Ontario by:

  • Applying to do further studies – You will need to apply to a college or university and renew your study permit.
  • Applying to a Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). First, you will want to make sure you are eligible. If you are planning to travel outside the country after receiving your Post-Graduation Work Permit, you will need to apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to return to Canada.
  • Applying to Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).

Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP)

The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Worker Program or Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program.

The PGWP allows international students who have completed their studies to work for an employer in Canada for up to three years, depending on how long their course of study was. For example, after earning a four-year undergraduate degree, you can apply for a three-year Post-Graduate Work Permit. See Citizenship and Immigration Canada Port-Graduation Work Permit Program for more information.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) for International Students

You have studied in Canada and you have an opportunity to work in Ontario. Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program facilitates the immigration process and may expedite the permanent resident status process so that you can make Ontario your home. Find out more about Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).

Other Facts

Some colleges and universities extend their services to International students for up to six months after graduation. They can provide you with advice on health insurance options or on finding work in Ontario.

If you have a post-graduation work permit and receive an offer of employment in Ontario that is longer than six months, you may be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

As a graduate of a college or university, you may have access to free career advice services and help finding employment from the institution where you studied.

Social Insurance Number Card

A Social insurance number (SIN) is required to work in Canada. If you were working while studying, you will have been issued a SIN that starts with a number "9" and an expiry date that matches your study permit. To continue to work in Ontario, you will need to extend that card. This can only be done once you have extended your study or your work permit. A three-month waiting period applies.

If you apply to extend your stay as a temporary resident before your permit ends, you will have "implied status" allowing you to legally continue to work while you wait for your new immigration document.

You can then bring your new immigration document to a Service Canada office and apply for a new SIN card. Make sure you have all the required documents with you.

Other Resources

Magnet, Online Career Matching tool

Working after graduation, Education in Canada

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) - International Student Category

Immigrate to Canada