Useful Links

  • Global Experience Ontario
  • Learn English or French
  • Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
  • How to apply

International Students

Ontario welcomes international students because of the diverse perspectives they bring to our institutions of higher learning.

Studying in Ontario


Visit our Colleges and Universities section for information about postsecondary education in Ontario.

You are interested in studying in Ontario. You can find everything you need to know from applying to a college or university to living and working in Ontario permanently.

You will need to apply and be accepted by a designated learning institution. You will have to include the Designated Learning Institution number (DLI#) on your application form.

Find a list of publicly assisted Ontario Colleges and Universities.


Why choose Ontario?

  • High value, low cost - Ontario's colleges and universities offer the highest quality education with innovative programs in all fields of studies with costs that are lower than most countries. Our high education standards also mean your degree, diploma or certificate will be recognized around the world.
  • Work while studying - You can get part-time work on and off campus while studying. As of June 1, 2014, you are authorized to work off campus with your study permit, if you meet the eligibility requirements.
  • Immigrating to Canada - Ontario can offer good career opportunities once you graduate with options to make Ontario your permanent residence.
  • English and French - Ontario's publicly assisted colleges and universities offer thousands of programs in both English and French.

Ontario is a beautiful province with thousands of freshwater lakes and rivers. You can find vast wilderness and provincial parks right next to large cosmopolitan cities. Ontario cities are safe and among the best places in the world to live, work and study. Find out more about Ontario.

Getting a Study Permit

Once you have been accepted by an Ontario college or university, you will need to get a study permit.

If you decide to continue your studies, you can apply to extend your Study Permit. Once the extension of your Study Permit has been approved, you can apply to get a new Temporary Resident Visa to reenter into Canada if you are planning to leave the country.

Working While Studying

It is possible to work while you are here as a student under any of the Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s work programs for students. You can:


Ontario has employment standards that set out the minimum standards - such as minimum wage - that employers and employees must follow.

Work on campus - You can work at the institution where you are studying without a work permit, see eligibility criteria.

Work off campus - You can work off campus if you are a full-time student at a designated learning institution. Your spouse or common-law partner can also apply for a work permit for the duration of your study permit.

Work as a Co-op student or Intern - You need to apply for a Co-op work permit if work experience is part of your academic program.

Living and Working in Ontario after Graduation

International students who will soon be graduating, or who are recent graduates from a publicly assisted Canadian college or university and have a permanent full-time job offer from an Ontario employer, may have the opportunity to live and work permanently in Ontario through the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP). Note that eligible Masters Graduates and PhD Graduates are not required to have a job offer to apply to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program program.

You could also be eligible to stay in Ontario and get a post-graduation work permit - for up to 3 years (depending on the length of your studies) - after you graduate. You may be eligible to apply to stay in Canada permanently under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) or under Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program.

PhD graduates can choose to submit an application as a Skilled Worker. Use the Come to Canada tool to explore your options to remain in Canada.


Make sure you check with your college or university of choice for their specific English or French Language Requirements.

For More Information