How to Apply
Step 1: Create an online Express Entry profile
- You must create a profile in Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC’s) Express Entry system. Once you do, you will receive an Express Entry Profile Number and a Job Seeker Validation Code (also known as Candidate Identifier Code). You will need these to submit your application to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
- When you create a profile in Express Entry, you must indicate your interest in immigrating to either Ontario or “All Provinces and Territories.”
- You must qualify for one of two IRCC economic immigration programs: the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) or the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).
Please see the Human Capital Priorities Stream Application Guide for more details, or visit the IRCC’s website for more details on Express Entry.
Step 2: OINP identifies candidates in Express Entry pool
- OINP searches the Express Entry pool on a regular basis and identifies potential candidates who meet the Human Capital Priorities Stream criteria (see Section 2.0 of the Human Capital Priorities Stream Application Guide for more information).
- If OINP identifies you in the Express Entry pool, you will receive a Notification of Interest from Ontario through your IRCC online account. This notification will invite you to apply to OINP for nomination under the Human Capital Priorities Stream.
Step 3: Apply to OINP under the Human Capital Priorities Stream
- To apply, you must submit your application through the OINP e-Filing Portal and ensure that you include all the required supporting documents.
- All applicants must indicate which federal immigration program they wish to be assessed against: the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) or the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).
- The application fee is $1,500. The fee covers the cost of processing your application and is non-refundable once you submit your application. Your fee must be paid online by credit card only (VISA or MasterCard) before your application can be submitted.
- OINP will assess your nomination according to the Human Capital Priorities Stream eligibility criteria. Your application will also be assessed to ensure you meet the FSWP or CEC criteria.
Step 4: Accept nomination from Ontario and apply for permanent residence
- If your application is approved by Ontario, you will receive a letter from OINP through your IRCC online account notifying you of your nomination. You have 30 calendar days to accept the nomination from Ontario in the Express Entry system.
- A nomination from Ontario will give you an additional 600 points in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) and you will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence from IRCC.
- Once you receive an invitation to apply from IRCC, you have 90 calendar days to submit your application for permanent residence to IRCC.
For more information on IRCC’s application process for permanent residence for provincial nominees through the Express Entry system, please visit the IRCC website.