Opportunities Ontario: How to apply
Employers can request positions in both the General and the International Student Categories by submitting one application form. They need to qualify under the General Category or the International Student Category, and obtain approval for the positions they intend to fill through the Opportunities Ontario program.
The application process
The Opportunities Ontario application process has two steps: first the Pre-screen Application (only for employers), and second the Nominee Application (only for individuals).
Step One: Pre-Screen Application
- Employers submit a Pre-screen Application to Opportunities Ontario, requesting positions for which they would like to recruit a foreign national. Employers do not pay a fee when submitting a Pre-screen application. The application process is free.
- Employers will receive will receive an approval letter. Employers will also receive a Joint Verification form and Pre-screen Position form for each approved position. They will have 60 days to recruit individuals to fill these positions (there can be an extension of 30 days for employers who need it).
Step Two: Nominee Application
- Recruited individuals submit a nominee application package to Opportunities Ontario. All nominees will be charged a non-refundable application fee.
- A Provincial Nomination Certificate will be issued for all successful nominees, who must then apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence.
- Nominees can request a temporary work permit to work in Ontario while their permanent resident application is being processed by CIC. Opportunities Ontario will support these requests.
Pre-Screen Application: Detailed instructions for employers
To complete the Pre-screen application process, employers should follow these steps:
- Obtain the Employer Pre-screen Application
You will find the application forms you need to apply to Opportunities Ontario on this website. These include:
Smart Employer Application Forms
(choose one that best applies)
- “Smart” Employer Pre-Screen Application Form (PDF)
- “Smart” Pre-Screen Application Form for Previously Approved Employers (PDF)
Standard Employer Application Forms
(choose one that best applies)
- Employer Pre-Screen Application Form (Word)
- Pre-Screen Application Form for Previously Approved Employers (Word)
- Authorizing or Cancelling a Representative form (Word / PDF) (if applicable)
- Translator Affidavit (Word / PDF) (if applicable)
You need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files.
- Complete the Employer Pre-screen Application
All questions on the forms must be answered. If a question is not applicable, mark the space n/a. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Detailed instructions are provided in the application forms.
Please note that mandatory fields (indicated by an asterisk *) in the “smart” employer application forms should be filled. Otherwise the application form will not print on-screen.
- Attach supporting documents
The completed Employer Pre-Screen Application form must be accompanied by a number of supporting documents. These include:
- Verification of the previous year’s gross revenue
- Proof of premises where the nominee will be employed
- Verification of the number of individuals employed by the company.
- Submit the application for approval
Applications must be submitted by mail, courier, or personal delivery. Applications are not accepted by fax or email. The completed Employer Pre-Screen Application form and supporting documents should be submitted to:
Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program
400 University Avenue, Ground Floor
Important: Document translation
If supporting documents are not in English or French you must supply a copy of the original document, as well as, a translation of the document and an affidavit from the person who completed the translation. Otherwise, applications will not be processed. Translations by family members are not acceptable.
Learn more: What happens after you apply.
To verify previous year’s gross revenue and verify three years of continuous business operation, please submit copies of:
- Revenue Canada Schedules 125 (Income Statement Information) and 141 (Accounting Practitioner Information) for past three years; or
- Company’s financial statements for the past three fiscal years signed by a C.A., C.M.A. or C.G.A.
For proof of the premises please submit a copy of:
- Deed to the property comprising the premise, showing the employer applicant as owner; or
- Lease, offer to lease, licence, notice of lease, or licence registered on title; and landlord/licensor’s name, address and telephone number.
To verify the minimum of five full-time employees on payroll please submit a copy of:
- Revenue Canada T4 Summary for previous fiscal year.
- If Employer applicant has 10 full-time employees or less, also include a list of the current full-time employee positions by job title and salary.