Useful Links

  • Global Experience Ontario
  • Learn English or French
  • Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
  • How to apply

Services for Internationally Trained Professionals

Global Experience Ontario (GEO) is a one-stop centre of the government of Ontario for internationally-trained professionals. See the Global Experience Ontario section for more information.


This is the logo of I live in French.

Be in good shape
Apart from a few exceptions, Ontario regulatory bodies only operate in English. You will have to get sufficient English skills to get your work permit and to practice your profession or trade in Ontario. The bilingual websites of Canadian regulatory bodies can help you get familiar with the specification of your profession in Canada in French and in English. Specialized language training helps you learn English as it relates to your profession or trade.

Career Maps

Many professions are regulated in Ontario – which means you have to be registered by the appropriate regulatory body to work in these professions. Use our Career maps for a detail description of the registration process.

Note: It is illegal to use the job title restricted to regulated professions without a licence or certificate from the appropriate regulatory body.

Bridge Training Programs

Bridge training is designed to offer you instructions tailored to the Canadian workplace without duplicating what you have already learned. Our Bridge Training Programs section provides you with a full description and a list of available programs.

Tip: Make an effort to meet people in your profession. Join a professional group or association. Go to their regular meetings, conferences and sign up for their workshops and seminars. Use the list of Francophone organizations, Professional Immigrant Networks and the National and Provincial Professional Organizations to find the ones in your field.


This is the logo of I live in French.

Coming Out
Don’t limit your professional activities to French groups or associations that you are familiar with. Don’t hesitate to participate in all the professional activities in your field. It will strengthen your professional identity.

Language Training

English and French are the two official languages of Canada. It is important that you are able to communicate in the language of your community and the language used at work.

In Ontario, English is used in the workplace and many English as a Second Language courses are offered to help you learn it. Use the interactive search tool to find the training you need and the section Language Training for more information.

Specialized Language Training

Occupation-specific language training strenghtens your knowledge of spoken English in the workplace. It allows you to improve your spoken language skills within the context of your profession to help you find a job that reflects your qualifications or to improve your efficiency at your present work. Sixteen school boards and 14 colleges across Ontario offer job-specific language training in one of two ways:

  • Language Training for the Workplace (LTFW) – assists immigrants in finding work in a specific field, by offering sector-specific English as a Second Language (ESL) / French as a Second Language (FSL) training.
  • Language Training in the Workplace (LTIW) – helps immigrants who are already employed to improve their ESL/FSL language skills at work. Assessing Your Proficiency Level


Logo de Viens Vivre en français

Finding the right double
Your knowledge of English and French is an advantage on the Ontario job market. If you find yourself in a bilingual job, you will have to write in English and French and discuss in French of topics treated in the workplace in English. The online translation tools Termium of the Government of Canada Translation Bureau and the Grand dictionnaire terminologique du Québec (in French) give you access to terminology banks as well as great writing tools. The University of Ottawa’s French writing guide Visez juste is also an excellent resource with a very useful section on angliscisms.

Assessing Your Proficiency Level

The Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) for French and the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) for English are recognized as the official Canadian standards for describing, measuring and recognizing the language proficiency of adult immigrants and prospective immigrants in both English and French.

They provide a common language for the entire immigrant-serving community. These tests are available to people who don’t have English or French as a first language. You can be tested for free at one of the assessment centres of Ontario.

Tip: Use our interactive search tool to find the English or French language training for adults suited to your need.

Do you have a question? Ask