Useful Links

  • Global Experience Ontario
  • Learn English or French
  • Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
  • How to apply

Learn English or French

Improving your language skills in Ontario

Adult Language Training

You can choose from many different full-time and part-time language training classes, depending on your immigration status.

English and French School Boards or community agencies located across Ontario provide language training classes. Language training programs provided by school boards are called adult non-credit language training. You can find adult non-credit language training by contacting a school board near you.

You can take beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels of language training courses. There are general programs for speaking, listening, reading and writing. You may also take language training to improve your business skills in special job areas such as accounting, computers, or communication. Some school boards offer literacy classes and help you prepare for postsecondary study.

This is the logo of the Find a Language Class

Need help finding English or French adult language training? Try using this search tool.

You can also take Citizenship and Language classes which can help you learn about Canada and Ontario, and about active citizenship. These classes also teach you information you need to pass the citizenship test.

Language training classes are free. They may be available in your community during the day, in the evening, or on weekends, depending on where you live.

If you want to attend a class in a school board near you, contact your local school board or try using this search tool.

Find a school board or school near you.

You can take language training in English in the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program. You can take language training in French in the Programme de Cours de langue pour les immigrants au Canada (CLIC) (in French). Information about these programs is available in different languages.

If you are interested in LINC or CLIC you will first need an evaluation of your language ability.

You can have your language ability evaluated by a Language Assessment Centre. The Language Assessment Centre will then suggest a program at your language level.

I need language training, but I cannot go to a classroom

This is the logo of In My Language

English as a second language (ESL)

Learn about the different ESL programs available. To read more, select your language from the drop-down menu above. Information provided by

If you are not able to go to a classroom, there are online resources that can help you improve your language skills.

You can study at home and send your work to a teacher who marks it through the Independent Learning Centre. Learners taking ESL must arrange for someone to act as their volunteer tutor.

The LINC Home Study program is a free program that helps you improve your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills of the English language. You can study in your home, and have contact with a teacher every week. To register in the LINC Home Study program you will have to have your language assessed at an Assessment Centre before you begin the program so that you can be placed in a language level that is right for you.

Where do I find special language training to help me find and keep a job?

There are many different places for you to go to get language training depending on your needs. If you were trained in a specific profession or trade in your home country you may be interested in a program that helps you with specific working language skills and may link you to an employer as well.

School boards offer many different programs that provide language training for the workplace. Some of these classes are held in a classroom. Sometimes, you can take a language training class at your place of work.

Some school boards offer Specialized Language Training classes that can help you improve your English language skills for specific jobs or improve your language skills in the workplace. The focus of Specialized Language Training classes is to teach you language for a particular industry. Find out more about Specialized Language Training classes.

If you are new to Canada, currently working or seeking employment, have training or experience in your occupation and want to improve your workplace communication skills, you may be eligible for free occupation-specific language training offered by Colleges Ontario.

If you are an internationally trained individual, bridge training programs can help you move quickly into the labour market. Bridge training programs offer special introductions and training about your profession in Ontario to help you into the Ontario workplace. Courses are developed for the needs of individuals trained outside Canada, and provide an opportunity to get the skills and knowledge necessary to meet Ontario’s licensing requirements.

Bridge training programs may provide Canadian workplace experience and may also offer language training as part of the program. Bridge training programs are offered in a variety of professional areas, such as accounting, early childhood education, nursing, and engineering. Bridge training can include work placements, mentoring, work place cultural orientation, job search skills and preparation for licensure exams.

Enhanced Language Training (ELT) is an initiative offered in Ontario. Enhanced Language Training offers you labour market language training and job-specific language training to prepare you for work in Ontario.

Go Back to the Learn English or French page